Thursday, March 1, 2007

Rachel Supermarket Narrative #4

(A Librarian taps a microphone in front of a large congragation of people)

"Hello Everyone. If i could have your attention, I'd like to introduce the New York Time's newest best sellar and acclaimed author and poet, Mr. Hershal Lindt! Following the reading, he will be signing copies of his new book, a collection of poems about the sweeter things in life, entitled "Nothing Rhymes with Chocolate" Mr. Lindt, you make take the floor." (applause)

"Hello (in a throaty and soothing voice) I want to thank you all for coming to my reading. The poems I will read today are as you all know, from my newest book of poetry. This book is a project very near and dear to my heart.(Makes eye contact with some of the ladies in the front row) For any of you chocoholics out there, for any of you that have a sweet tooth, here is the literary equivalant of a fat slice of rich Devil's food cake. Enjoy and try not to drool"


(clears throat)
Melting chocolate
As warm as the August sun
It makes me smile

Fluffier than clouds
Whiter than newborn snowflakes
Ye Angel Food Cake

Freshly squeezed orange juice
Thick pulp swirls in the cup
I pour it gently

Drops of caramel
Chocolate and nut storm
Rainbow wrappers fall

Apple, Cherry, Pear
Drowning in fresh sugar
Cystalzied gemstones

(looks around room. Silence for a moment. and then, an uproar of applause, whistling and people start to stand. He smiles)

"Thank you. Thank you very very much. Your are all too sweet"

No comments: